We will be temporarily closed from 12pm - 5pm on Friday of this week for an internal staff training.

Breaking down
the barriers
to immigration!

I-R1 Visa Attorneys in Pennsylvania

Helping Spouses Obtain Residency

If you and your spouse got married in another country but wish to live and work in the United States, the spouse who is not a United States citizen will need to obtain a visa. The I-R1 visa, also known as the spousal visa, is a pathway to U.S. citizenship and obtaining a green card. Applying for the I-R1 visa correctly is essential, as any mistakes in your application could delay the process or even lead to a denial.

At The Law Office of Rosina C. Stambaugh, our team has years of experience helping couples obtain an I-R1 visa to live and work in the United States. We can walk you through the visa process and assist you in filling out the application to avoid delays. If you have any questions or would like more information about our services, call today at 717-900-1818.

What Are the Requirements for an I-R1 Visa?

Fortunately, there are no caps on how many I-R1 visa applications the United States approves each year. However, the individual applying must meet certain requirements for approval.

  • If you are applying for an I-R1 visa, you must meet the following criteria:
  • You are legally married
  • Your spouse is a United States citizen
  • You have been married for two years or more

To prove the length of your marriage, you must provide a valid marriage certificate that is signed and dated. You can also provide photographs or other documentation of the wedding itself. These documents will be included in the application that you submit, as they help prove that your efforts are legitimate and not just a way to obtain a green card.

What is the Application Process for an I-R1 Visa?

Every applicant may have a slightly different visa process. However, there are certain steps you must complete before your visa can be approved.

Generally, the I-R1 visa process includes the following steps:

  • Filing a petition with the Department of Homeland Security
  • Applying for the I-R1 visa with the United States Embassy
  • Filing form DS-260 electronically
  • Getting a medical examination and any required vaccinations
  • Collecting all necessary documents
  • Interviewing with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
  • Traveling to the United States after your visa is approved

Every part of the visa application process is essential. Missing steps or doing them incorrectly could lead to a denial of your application. If you have any questions, contact our team today for assistance.

What is the Visa Interview Like?

Many applicants have concerns about the visa interview process. Learning more about what the interview entails can help you prepare yourself and practice your answers ahead of time.

During the interview, the interviewer will ask questions about your application and circumstances. These questions may be about your spouse, your relationship, your family, and your spouse’s family.

Questions during the I-R1 visa interview may include:

  • How did you and your spouse meet?
  • When did you and your spouse get engaged?
  • Where was your wedding ceremony located?
  • Does your spouse have any nieces and nephews?
  • What is your spouse’s mother’s name?
  • Do you and your spouse spend a lot of time together?
  • How did you meet your spouse’s parents?

The interviewer asking questions will attempt to validate the relationship and ensure it is legitimate. Your spouse will be asked the same series of questions, and their answers must generally align with yours. If the interviewer is satisfied with the status of your relationship, then the visa application process can continue.

How Long Does the I-R1 Visa Process Take?

Because there are no limits to how many I-R1 visa applications get approved in a single year, the application process is generally much faster than other green card applications. Most couples get their I-R1 visa approved within ten months, but some couples can get approval in as little as eight months. Having a professional immigration lawyer on your side is the best way to expedite the process and ensure your application is complete and accurate.

How Does an I-R1 Visa Differ From a C-R1 Visa?

A C-R1 visa is similar to an I-R1 visa. Both visas are assigned to foreign nationals who are married to United States citizens and wish to live and work permanently in the United States. The main difference is the timeline of the marriage. The I-R1 visa is for couples married for more than two years, while the C-R1 visa is for couples married for less than two years. The I-R1 visa is also valid for ten years, while the C-R1 visa is only valid for two years.

Can an I-R1 Visa Holder Get a Green Card?

If you plan to stay in the United States for over ten years, you must apply for your green card. I-R1 visa holders can apply for a green card by filling out Form I-485, the Application to Register or Adjust Status. Once the form is submitted to the USCIS, the processing time can take several months. Once the application has been approved, an I-R1 visa holder can get their green card.

Do I Need an Immigration Lawyer?

The I-R1 visa is an excellent opportunity for spouses who wish to work and live in the United States. Because the I-R1 visa process is so extensive, filling out the application correctly and answering all interview questions to the best of your ability is essential. A professional legal team with years of experience in the immigration field can assist you and ensure that your application goes smoothly.

If you or your spouse are applying for the I-R1 visa, don’t leave your application up to chance. Reach out to The Law Office of Rosina C. Stambaugh for experienced legal assistance. For more information, contact us today at 717-900-1818.

Schedule a Consultation Office Consultation Video Consultation Consultation with Interpreter Moshannon Valley Processing Center
(Detained) Consultation