We will be temporarily closed from 12pm - 5pm on Friday of this week for an internal staff training.

Breaking down
the barriers
to immigration!

C-R1 Visa Lawyers in Pennsylvania

Helping Couples Immigrate to the United States

If you and your spouse got married in another country and are now moving to the United States, obtaining a visa is essential. A C-R1 visa is a spousal visa that lets a spouse immigrate and reside in their partner’s country, as long as their spouse is a United States citizen. While the C-R1 visa process can seem complex, with the help of a professional immigration attorney, you can fill out the application accurately and without delays.

At The Law Office of Rosina C. Stambaugh, our team has years of experience in immigration law. We know the ins and outs of the visa application process, and we can help you or your spouse apply for the C-R1 visa. For more information and to learn about our services, call us today at 717-900-1818.

What Are the Requirements for a C-R1 Visa?

There are a handful of requirements you must meet before applying for the C-R1 visa. If you do not meet those requirements, your application may be denied automatically.

The requirements for a C-R1 spousal visa include:

  • You are legally married to a United States citizen or permanent resident
  • You have been married for fewer than two years
  • You can demonstrate that the marriage is real and valid
  • Your spouse will act as your sponsor
  • Your spouse can meet the income requirements to support you financially
  • You are eligible to enter the United States under the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services criteria

In your application, you will be required to provide proof of your marital status and its validity. This can include your marriage license, photos from the ceremony, or other proof. If you have been married for more than two years and still wish to live and work in the United States, you can apply for the I-R1 visa instead of the C-R1 visa.

What is the Application Process for a C-R1 Visa?

The visa process may look a bit different for every couple. However, there are some steps that must be completed before your C-R1 visa can be approved.

To submit a C-R1 visa application, follow the steps below:

  • Ensure that you are eligible for the C-R1 visa. You must demonstrate that your marriage is authentic, and your spouse must be 18 years or older
  • Have your spouse file Form I-130, the Petition for Alien Relative.
  • Submit any fees and documentation required by the National Visa Center (NVC).
  • File Form DS-260 answering questions about yourself, like your educational history and employment.
  • Attend an interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country.
  • Complete a medical examination and receive any necessary vaccinations.
  • Wait for your official approval.

What is the Visa Interview Like?

Many individuals get nervous about the C-R1 visa interview. Fortunately, as long as you and your spouse have a solid relationship and you know most of their family history, you can answer all questions truthfully without worry.

C-R1 interview questions may include the following:

  • What is your spouse’s full name?
  • When and where did you get married?
  • Have you ever been to the United States before?
  • Have you met your spouse’s parents?
  • What is your spouse’s email address and phone number?
  • How many times have you and your spouse met in person?
  • How many people attended your wedding?

Your spouse will also be interviewed and asked similar questions. As long as your answers generally align and the marriage is valid, your C-R1 visa will likely be approved.

How Long Does the C-R1 Visa Process Take?

Because there is no limit on the number of C-R1 applications approved in a year, the C-R1 visa process generally takes much less time than other visa applications do. Most couples get their C-R1 visa approved after ten months or so. However, this timeline can vary depending on your specific circumstances. In most cases, you will receive your visa approval about one week after your interview.

How Does an I-R1 Visa Differ From a C-R1 Visa?

The I-R1 visa and the C-R1 visa are both spousal visas that you can apply for. While they provide similar benefits, the requirements are different. C-R1 visas are for couples married for less than two years, while I-R1 visas are for couples married for more than two years. The I-R1 visa is valid for ten years, while the C-R1 visa is only valid for two years.

Can a C-R1 Visa Holder Get a Green Card?

Because a C-R1 visa is only valid for two years, you must apply for your green card to live and work in the United States permanently. Fortunately, the C-R1 is a pathway to obtaining a green card in the United States. To get a green card, you must apply for the removal of conditions from your green card to start the application process. You must file this application within 90 days of the second anniversary of your arrival to the United States.

How Can an Immigration Lawyer Help Me?

Living with your spouse is an essential part of marriage. If you or your spouse need a C-R1 visa to live in the same country, consulting with a legal professional is the best way to expedite the process and avoid delays. An immigration lawyer has knowledge of the industry and can help you fill out your application and nail your interview for quick approval.

Our team at The Law Office of Rosina C. Stambaugh is here to help you no matter what step of the process you are at. From starting the C-R1 application to applying for a green card, we can assist you. Contact us today at 717-900-1818 to learn more about our services and how we can help.

Schedule a Consultation Office Consultation Video Consultation Consultation with Interpreter Moshannon Valley Processing Center
(Detained) Consultation